Monday 11 April 2011

Seagulls Trio

         One of the many things I love about Adelaide are  its white sand beaches and its blue waters. Glenelg beach is one these and happens to be Adelaide's  most  popular beach destination. From where I live, it takes about 25 minutes by tram  to get there. And on  hot days, it  is teeming  with people enjoying  the sand and the sea. People are everywhere  enjoying a refreshing swim, a walk on the sand or a stroll in the jetty or browsing  through the shops and restaurants  lining Jetty Road.

           Sometimes,  when the weather is perfect,   I would head down  there to take some pictures and have a bit of walk in the sand. Using  my ordinary digital camera, I would take pictures of anything that I find interesting. I reckon I have snapped pictures of the sunset, people and buildings near the shore, the jetty of course, and seagulls.

"Seagulls Trio"; Soft Pastel in Watercolour Paper; 38cm x 57 cm

       As seagulls are everywhere in the beach, people seem to notice them  only when they are in a large throng fighting over  a piece of bread thrown at them. And yes, it is amusing to see them scrambling for a bigger piece of bread! It is hard to photograph them though in a closer range because they are not that tamed ( in the absence of food ). Thanks for the zoom function of my camera, I don't have to run after them. Seagulls in flight are especially hard to capture as well. Their flight speed makes it impossible to catch them in camera frame. But everything aside, I  find seagulls really fascinating. Their white and gray feathers are very nice things to look at. Clean and pure. Almost like white doves. They are great painting subjects. One of the most under-rated beauties in the bird kingdom. That is why I chose to paint them. To show  the allure of the ordinary.


No comments:

Post a Comment